Thursday, October 20, 2005

Frugality, Potatoes and Hillbillies

The Deputy Headmistress at The Common Room recently put up a potato post here and mentioned how, in a time when their family was under severe economic constraints, a large part of their diet was made up of potatoes.

Strangely enough, the $45 Emergency Menu at the Hillbilly Housewife website doesn't include potatoes. Other than that, I think it's a great resource, and it's just the tip of the potato sprout on Miss Maggie's site. [Update, 2008: the Hillbilly Housewife site is now owned by Susanne, who has made some additions and changes to the site; Miss Maggie's latest ideas can be found on Frugal Abundance.] Check out the recipes (both the emergency ones and the ones on the rest of the site), especially if you're budget-minded. Especially if you like cornmeal (Mr. Fixit does not, and I do not think he'd appreciate a dinner of made up mostly of Hoecakes. Pancake Tuesday is bad enough, in his mind.)

It's also a great site if you're a little uncertain in the kitchen, or if you're a mom looking for some very clearly-written, easy to print out recipes to use with cooks-in-training. It actually inspired Mama Squirrel to write out menus for the next week (I know, those of you who do this all the time are laughing, but I'm usually more of a night-before planner). But the Squirrels are smiling because they got to eat beef stew and date cookies, all planned ahead. (O.K. I'm being honest. Mr. Fixit did not eat the date cookies either. But he just doesn't know what he's missing.)

Thanks, Miss Maggie!

3 comments:

Headmistress, zookeeper said...

My girls love the milkshake recipe from that site- too much!

Anonymous said...

A little note to let you know that I appreciate the imagination you are using in your site (life) (rearing squirrels and pipsqueaks)I am infected with your joy of communication. I admire the Spirit of the genuine effort and gentle love.
By nature I am a true Tigger type. I am also Miss Maggie's real mom and so it does not surprise me that you two have found each other accross the universe. Some of the best part of living is imaginary and it holds no economic boundarys. Bread and butter can be a fine feast with the right company. great bouncing hugs to you. ttfn.

Mama Squirrel said...

Welcome, Miss Maggie's mom, and thanks for the bouncing hugs.