Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A box of delights

We're already making a good head start on next year's school books; recently I managed to get the next two levels of Making Math Meaningful and Jeannie Fulbright's Astronomy book--both things that were on my list.

Astronomy came in a "box of delights" last week from one of my favourite book-dealing homeschoolers (or is that homeschooling book dealers?), who lives in Western Canada and who's been sending us books now for...I don't know, at least five years, probably more. "I shall always think of her as a benefactress."

This is what was in the box:

MR. PIPES AND PSALMS AND HYMNS OF THE REFORMATION

FATHER MARQUETTE AND THE GREAT RIVERS, by August Derleth.

PLUTARCH'S LIVES. Volume 3 of the Everyman edition. (I had Volume 1, so now Volume 2 is the only one I'll have to keep taking out of the library.)

BOOKS CHILDREN LOVE, A Guide to the Best Children's Literature--the old blue edition, but I'm quite happy with that.

EXPLORING CREATION WITH ASTRONOMY

SEWING MACHINE FUN & MORE SEWING MACHINE FUN. The I'll Teach Myself series, by Nancy Smith & Linda Milligan. (Ponytails really wants to use these.)

FIVE LITTLE PEPPERS AND HOW THEY GREW, by Margaret Sidney. (Remember the crawly thing?)

PARABLES FROM NATURE, by Margaret Gatty.

CHRISTY, by Catherine Marshall.

ARISTOTLE FOR EVERYONE, Difficult Thought Made Easy (I'm tempted to add, For Bears of Very Little Brain). By Mortimer J. Adler. (Wasn't there someone else out there who had this on their lists of books to read, or things they had just read?)

HOW THE HEATHER LOOKS, by Joan Bodger. Yeaaaah!

No comments: