Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday Idea



Rocks in My Dryer hosts Works for Me Wednesday every week. You can link to the whole assortment of tips there.

So here's my tip. It's not a recipe or a parenting tip or even a homeschooling idea (maybe I'll do one of those later today). This is a computer shortcut:

Sometimes I need to use a word or name that has accents or other markings in it that aren't on my keyboard. Like "Chez Hélène." I know you can get alternate virtual keyboards and that there are all kinds of things you can do so that you can really type in French or German. But since I just need an occasional word, I usually Google it and then cut and paste it (with proper accents) from the Internet. Most of the time I don't even have to go to the actual websites: I can take it right from the Yahoo search page. And it works for anything you're typing: I've pasted words and names (or even just one letter with the right accent) onto blog posts, emails, and into Word documents.

Et Voilà!

6 comments:

Girl Gone Wild said...

Very nice tip...thanks!

Elizabeth at A Biblical Home said...

Very clever!

Anonymous said...

Great idea! If you are working in Microsoft Word, though, there's a menu for this - go to the Insert menu in your document and then to "Symbol". You'll find every conceivable accent, symbol, special character, etc, there!

homeschoolingmommaof4 said...

That's a great tip! Thanks for sharing it.

My Boaz's Ruth said...

And if you have to do the same letter more than once, after using Insert Symbol once, then just copy and paste the character when necessary throughout the rest of the document.

Mama Squirrel said...

You're right about the Insert Symbol method--thank you! But there's one hidden benefit to Googling the word if I'm doing it off the top of my head (not copying something): that way I get all the accents going the right way!

Related Posts with Thumbnails