Saturday, June 21, 2008

Funniest book I ever read

Athena wishes she had more funny stuff like the posts on The Prodigal Jon to read late at night.

As for me--I wish I still had a copy of Mary Ann Madden's Thank You for the Giant Sea Tortoise. It was a book of winning entries from monthly contests in The New Yorker. You know, the kind where you have to submit book titles with a little misprint, or weather reports done by nursery rhyme characters, or limericks about politics. As I remember, most of the entries held up pretty well over the years except for the really topical ones. I don't know why I got rid of the book--just making space at some point, I guess.

Late at night they still pop into my head, unbidden but not always unwelcome. Last night I was laughing over the "classified ads with a typo." My favourite was "Small Apartment For Runt."

There was the Macbeth Weather Report: "Hail. Hail. Hail."

There was a poem about life in New York that started "Imagine what's down in the sewer" and ended "and a rat that is bigger than you are."

And there was the little poem about cops trying to catch muggers, that started "Our New York policemen wear dresses" and ended "Policemen enjoy it, my guess is."

100 marks for creative rhyming, there.

I guess I'll have to join the Canadian equivalent of PaperBackSwap and put my name down for another copy, if only to give my subconscious a rest.

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

These reminded me of a funny slip up made by a relative of mine when he did a stint of radio announcing. One day he was giving the weather report and said it was going to be "frogging with occasional flowers"!

Related Posts with Thumbnails