Tuesday, January 06, 2009

It isn't just Dora toys (Meisterburger-style legislation on children's products)

Did you know that the new U.S. laws on testing ALL children's products apply to books as well?

Bookseller Val Jacobsen explains what that will mean to used booksellers. (Hat tip to the Deputy Headmistress.)

It's quite obvious to me who's behind this kind of lawmaking:

"I hate toys! And toys hate me! Either they are going or I am going and I definitely am not going!"

(And don't forget "Toys are hereby declared illegal, immoral, unlawful AND anyone found with a toy in his possession will be placed under arrest and thrown in the dungeon.")

3 comments:

Sebastian said...

This is stunningly horrible. A bunch of big industry toy pushers get caught using low standard and improper materials for their mass marketed stores. Then there is media hype and an outcry in public (Something must be done). The resulting legislation instead puts out of business the small toymakers and booksellers that weren't a problem in the first place.
I'd been thinking of starting to make Waldorf style dolls for my kids and niece and nephew. Sounds like I need to get the supplies before companies like Magic Cabin get pushed under altogether.

Birdie said...

Very scary. Very, very scary.

Kelly in BC said...

Your reference to Bergermeister Meisterberger from "Santa Claus is coming to town" is just hilarious! LOL Thank you!!!

I needed some levity to help balance my dismay and burgeoning horror at how CPSIA will affect everything. This will close down American, family-owned businesses who can't afford the testing. Where will people find reasonably priced, excellent homeschooling items?!?

Related Posts with Thumbnails