Thursday, October 08, 2009

I hated it in high school but liked it later? (Great Books Week)

Okay...what did our class read in high school? Somehow we skipped both Lord of the Flies and Catcher in the Rye (the Apprentice wasn't so lucky). We did read a lot of short stories and poems, several Shakespeare and Shaw plays, A Man For All Seasons, Death of a Salesman, and a bunch of novels:

To Kill a Mockingbird
Huckleberry Finn
Brave New World
Heart of Darkness
The Sun Also Rises
The Pearl, by John Steinbeck (you want it, you find it, but you can't keep it)
A Separate Peace, by John Knowles (don't remind me how many coming-of-age symbols there are in this one)
On the Beach, by Nevil Shute (people getting sick after a nuclear blast)
The Chrysalids, by John Wyndham (people repenting after a nuclear blast)

Very depressing, most of it. The ones I liked, I still like. The rest I'm still trying to forget.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Oh, I hated Death of a Salesman. LOL Holly

Molytail said...

Oh my heavens. The Chrysalids! I'd forgotten about that book ~ and after just looking up a very detailed summary, I realized how little of it I truly understood...I was only 10 or so when I read it - I really should track down a copy and read it again as an adult. :-)

Sebastian said...

Totally with you on this one. There are even a few books I liked as a teen that I can't stand now. Jane Eyre has a totally different feel as a married woman than it did as a romantic teenaged girl. Wuthering Heights makes me think that the heroine needed a good spanking.

Related Posts with Thumbnails