Monday, January 25, 2010

Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY... Monday, January 25, 2010

Outside my window... It's been rainy, cold, damp, distressing, but there was snow blowing around this morning.

I am thinking... about a particular Treehouse we're considering. Treehouse-hunting is a bit like single people going out and hoping that the next one you meet might be "the one." Because it could be--you never know. On the other hand, we've looked at a lot of places, and a lot of them have turned out to be in the wrong kind of trees or to cost more acorns than we have piled up. Or other rodents have moved in before we had quite finished making up our minds. So that kind of tempers the "could be" with "wait and see."

I am thankful for... not having had to take or send kids to school in the wet today.

I am wearing... jeans and a sweater. (But you could have guessed that.)

I am remembering... Christmas. A Month Ago Already.

I am going...to find some more stuff to send to the thrift shop or out to the curb. Because it's been That Kind of a Week around here, and once you get started you keep seeing more stuff that really isn't earning its keep.

I am currently reading... Hannah Coulter, by Wendell Berry

I am hoping... that my kids will get over their recurring viruses and assorted yuckies soon and that we can get caught up with school. That I can get finished last year's afghan in the next couple of days (almost there, it got put on hold for awhile).

On my mind...the lady the DHM posted about who survived the whole Haiti earthquake and then came home and broke her arm. A homeschool mom of eleven who broke her leg in a car accident on the weekend. People with a lot bigger things to worry about than I have.

Noticing that... the breadmaker is making noises like a machine gun, even when I add more liquid--I wonder how many loaves it has left in it.

Pondering these words...
"The epiphany came the day of a dinner party I'd been planning. First thing that morning I set out for our local farmer's market, picturing in my mind the delicious ratatouille I would prepare. But at the market I couldn't find what I wanted: both the eggplant and the zucchini looked wilted and beat-up. Feeling cross, I was forced to abandon my shopping list and take another look around. When I did I saw fresh lettuces, mushrooms, goat cheese, watercress, scrumptious flame-red and yellow tomatoes, herbs, crisp radishes, crusty loaves of newly baked bread. I realized that all the makings of a wonderfully fresh salad extravaganza were right there in front of me. Even now, years later, my friends rave about the meal I served that night."--Sarah Ban Breathnach, The Simple Abundance Companion.
(Note: I'm not a real fan of those books, and this one--from a yard sale--was about to go out the door again, but I started flipping through it and found a couple of passages I liked.)

From the kitchen... Sesame Seed Bread. Last of the bag of sesame seeds.

Around the house... well, it's just a bit emptier than it has been.

One of my favorite things... Mission Impossible, six old episodes we have on VHS. We've seen them before but it's been long enough that I forget exactly what's going to happen next.

Visit our hostess at http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/.

2 comments:

Queen of Carrots said...

I just read Hannah Coulter a few weeks ago. Hope you enjoy it!

buff said...

it would be nice to have a breadmaker again.....i hope black and decker one is good......

Related Posts with Thumbnails