Monday, August 29, 2011

From the Archives: Homeschooling Meme (Want to play?)

Originally posted August 29, 2006.  2011 updates are in italics.

2006: Tim's Mom tagged me, so I'll give it a shot. School starts for us this Friday, although Monday will be a holiday and we are thinking about heading to the beach for a day at the end of next week (because it will be so QUIET then).

1) ONE HOMESCHOOLING BOOK YOU HAVE ENJOYED

2006:  I co-ordinate a support group library, so I've seen a LOT of homeschooling books. I think Homeschooling on a Shoestring ranks up there pretty high. Along with Charlotte Mason's books, of course. ;-)  Five years later?  I read more books about education and learning (and other things) these days than I do just about homeschooling...but maybe one of the old classics like Schoolproof?

2) ONE RESOURCE YOU WOULDN'T BE WITHOUT

2006:  Cuisenaire rods.  Five years later?  Well, besides the computer...and the printer...and the scanner...probably the big folding timeline,  Timechart History of the World.


3) ONE RESOURCE YOU WISH YOU HAD NEVER BOUGHT

2006:  Extra Geosafari cards, because now our Geosafari machine has gone kaput.  2011 update:  Well, most of what I wish I hadn't bought, I've sold or passed on to someone else.  I didn't end up being very impressed with World in a Box.


4) ONE RESOURCE YOU ENJOYED LAST YEAR

2006:  Focus on the Family's Narnia CDs.  2011 update:  Liberty's Kids, on You-tube.  And Our Roman Roots.


5) ONE RESOURCE YOU WILL BE USING NEXT YEAR

2006:  The British Museum Timeline of the Ancient World. It's a combination book and ten-foot timeline (I know, I measured it before I strung it up on the kitchen wall).  2011:  We're trying a bunch of things we haven't before: Math Pet Store, from Simply Charlotte Mason; Learning Language Arts Through Literature; Mission Monde French.


6) ONE RESOURCE YOU WOULD LIKE TO BUY

2006:  Unlimited funds, or real plans? A dumbwaiter to haul things up from the basement (where the books are) to the kitchen table and living room (where we end up doing most of the work, because the couch is more comfortable up there).  2011:  Not sure--we're pretty much set for this year.


7) ONE RESOURCE YOU WISH EXISTED

2006:  Miquon Math for the upper grades.  2011:  Let me think about that one...


8) ONE HOMESCHOOLING CATALOGUE YOU ENJOY READING

2006:  Tim's Mom said, "I rarely look through homeschooling catalogues, every time I do, I start wondering what I'm missing and I start doubting what I'm already using." Yeah, me too, although I do hunt through them to buy resources for the homeschool library. One of my favourite resources is Hampstead House Books, a discounted and remaindered mail order house near Toronto.  2011:  I still order sometimes from HH Books, but my go-to catalogue for the last few years has been The Learning House in Goderich, Ontario.  I also like the Tree of Life and Canadian Home Education Resources catalogues.

9) ONE HOMESCHOOLING WEBSITE YOU USE REGULARLY

2006:  Ambleside Online (you knew I was going to say that). Homeschool Buzz.

10) TAG FOUR SIX OTHER HOMESCHOOLERS

2011:  I tag...

Tim's Mom at Bona Vita Rusticanda Est

Jeanne at A peaceful day

Phyllis at Hunsucker's Home

Donna-Jean at Liberty and Lily

Coffeemamma at A New Day

Brandy at Afterthoughts

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

I'm in. I'll try to get my answers together tomorrow! Hope you love Pet Shop Maths. It has been a breath of fresh air chez nous.

Phyllis said...

Thanks! We're starting school tomorrow, but I'll probably have time to do this over the weekend....

Jeanne said...

My answers here:

http://ohpeacefulday.blogspot.com/2011/08/homeschooling-meme.html

Jeanne said...

It has been very funny seeing where this meme appears and in what guise - it is like a virus propogating itself all through cyberspace!!

It must be fun knowing that you started it!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails