Friday, October 07, 2011

French lessons this week

I like it when miscellaneous materials just come together right. Serendipity.

We practiced conjugating the French verbs "to like" and "to eat." I like, you like, he likes. I had Crayons do a verb exercise in L'Art de Lire, and we talked about a couple of other verbs. "Porter" is to wear or to carry. A "porter" carries your luggage. A "portage" is when you have to get out of the canoe and carry it. My grandpa, who spoke very little French otherwise, liked to say "Comment vous portez-vous aujourd'hui?" Literally, "How do you carry yourself today?"

Then we used the Usborne French for Beginners book and tape, which, what do you know, has a lesson called "What do you like eating?" What are you eating? I'm eating a pizza. She is eating fries. He is eating bread. Do you like fish? I like bananas. And so on. The Usborne lesson briefly covers the partitive article (how you say "some bananas" instead of "the bananas." In French you can't say just "bananas.")

We looked in the picture-vocabulary section of Crayons' notebook from last year, which is also her notebook from this year since I inserted the Mission Monde workbook into the front of it. I asked her questions and had her repeat phrases about the foods pictured in an illustration: do you like cookies? We eat tomatoes.

Then we turned to a picture page about school supplies, and got a bit silly. The baby is eating the pen. The monster is eating the desk. Whatever works.

Next week we'll do more with Mission Monde. As I've said, I like that curriculum too, but I am finding we need to supplement a bit, especially to build up the bits that Crayons did not learn previously (i.e. where Mama Squirrel has slacked off). You can only go so fast.

As a postscript, it is always interesting to hear what the grade 9 French class and the university class are doing. In the Apprentice's class this week, they were also talking about food and working on the partitive article. The Apprentice said that a lot of the students had trouble distinguishing between what you would say at the store (I buy some coffee, I am buying a turkey) and what you say when you're eating or drinking that food item (I am drinking a (cup of) coffee, I am eating some turkey, as opposed to the entire thing). The Apprentice says she wasn't sure whether it was actually a language difficulty or just university-student ignorance of grocery shopping!

1 comment:

amy in peru said...

if I lived a normal life, we'd have studied french in all seriousness by now... still we're going to attempt it this year again. hopefully. ;)

amy in peru

Related Posts with Thumbnails