Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Found at a yard sale: vintage books

Yes, after all this time, a yard sale post. I haven't found anything worth mentioning at yard sales for a really long time.

This sale was at a seniors' apartment building, and you wouldn't expect that people who had already downsized into small apartments would have a lot to get rid of, but there were some interesting things for sale. I brought home four small, school-type vintage books: Laurence Sterne's A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy, a 1948 British printing; Aristotle's Politics, a 1908 printing; Select Essays: Addison, published by Allyn and Bacon, 1946 printing (it looks older, but it says 1946 on the first page); and A Shorter Pepys, also 1946. The copy of Pepys has a brown-paper book protector attached to it, compliments of The Royal Bank of Canada: Today is a Good Time to Start Your Savings Account! I think Mr. Pepys might have appreciated that:
March 2nd (Lord's day).--Talking long in bed with my wife, about our frugal life for the time to come, proposing to her what I could and would do, if I were worth £2,000, that is, be a knight, and keep my coach, which pleased her. To church in the morning: none in the pew but myself.--A Shorter Pepys

No comments: